Larry the Ad Man's Blog

I hope you learn from my small business marketing and advertising tips.

"Advertising is to trade what Steam is to machinery" Thomas Cook.
It was an honor to be nominated for 2011 Canadian Weblog Awards.


Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don't forget the details...

I have spoken often about knowing your customers, but also be clear who your audience is when designing your advertising. A TV, radio, newspaper, twitter and facebook audience are ALL VERY different. Often I see people using one statement on all social media complete with hashtags and @addresses on facebook and LinkedIn. I also see the same print ad running in VERY different mediums or TV ads audio run as a radio commercial. While cost effective, you might be limiting the effectiveness of your ads by not speaking to your audience. Consider who watches, listens and reads the media before you commit your ad to air or print.
Also consider if the media reaches outside your city or area. My father lives in a city that is part of a larger region (5 towns) and often sees, hears and reads advertisements that don't mention which city or town they are in, just the address. If it's not an address he is familiar with, then he has to assume it is in another city? He might very well become a customer, but the ad has lost him by not mentioning the city.
So, considering the design of an ad, which I have show a few good examples, should have the elements of what your customers think of your business and what will resonate with the audience of the media. The 3 examples ran in the Alberta edition of The British Canadian newspaper. Until next time, I am Larry "The Ad Man". Feel free to comment or ask a question below.... I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment