Larry the Ad Man's Blog

I hope you learn from my small business marketing and advertising tips.

"Advertising is to trade what Steam is to machinery" Thomas Cook.
It was an honor to be nominated for 2011 Canadian Weblog Awards.


Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Power of the press? A short case study of Twitter.

For those of you who may not know him, Bob McCown is a national radio/tv sports talk show host of Prime Time Sports. For those who listen to him we enjoy his obtuse sense of humor. In fact he says in all truth "my listeners expect me to insult them". However we also know his show is a bit more highbrow when it comes to sports and challenges the listener to be a little more intelligent. I enjoy his show at least 3 times a week, usually on television a couple of hours after the live broadcast. On this particular day, I was on my laptop and watching the show live on TV. There was a lively discussion between Bob and New Jersey based Darren Rovell of ESPN.com about Twitter and their target audience. Bob maintained that Twitter is a young people's media and that his target audience is older and more educated. I decided to send a tweet at that time to both Darren and Bob. Listen in to the broadcast at about the 10:30 mark to hear what he says about me. If you have the time the whole discussion is worthwhile: http://goo.gl/fb/j0iol .
Now one might think WOW, the power of Twitter! One Tweet and national TV and radio exposure for your business. You must have done well with that? Well.. at the time I was thrilled. But NOT ONE new follower and no one contacted me to say they heard it. No one. So I guess Bob was right and I should quit Twitter? No, not really, and I still believe that the older demographic like me is growing in the Twitter world. I just need some patience, unlike Bob, or at least Bob's persona.

Just like in all forms of advertising, the sooner you get in, understand how it works for you, the more established you will be when your target market decides to join. A couple of observations in my early days with Twitter. First, the media LOVES Twitter. It is basically a ton of headlines or sound bites. So if you want some media attention, this is a strong option. Also there is a lingo you just need to learn before you can use if effectively. Hash tags and twitter addresses are all over the place, but once you understand it, it starts to make sense. Lastly, timing is everything. Once you understand when your target audience is looking at Twitter, you can make the best of it. VERY few people will read ALL of your Tweets. When you see how many users they follow, you'll get a sense of why that is true. Until next time, I'm Larry "The Ad Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment