Larry the Ad Man's Blog

I hope you learn from my small business marketing and advertising tips.

"Advertising is to trade what Steam is to machinery" Thomas Cook.
It was an honor to be nominated for 2011 Canadian Weblog Awards.


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Did you run away from this product?

Here is another example (you will see a few in my Blog) of a commercial that takes an awful risk. Dentyne Frost Bites took humor to a new level in this spot. Some might enjoy this humor, those of the Horror Film variety, but many might be repulsed by the product in this classically bad commercial which debuted in September 2004:
 
I'm sure I don't have to tell you the risk Dentyne took with this TV spot? A look at their product list on the website and behold, No Dentyne Frost Bites Gum. I would suspect that this commercial was the reason the product is not listed. It just didn't connect with the end user. I know I saw this hundreds of times, so Dentyne must have spent a small fortune worldwide.

Don't get me wrong, risks can pay off. Just make sure you have enough to fall back on if it doesn't work. Dentyne did. Until next time, I am Larry "The Ad Man"

No comments:

Post a Comment